Tuesday, March 14, 2017

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1PJcKCTrfZ3b1ZrUks4YUhEaDN6bi1NZG40NEVmQ2JrRFZZ

A game that I usually play with my students is Algebra Review Jeopardy. I usually split the students up into two teams. I try to make the teams (collaboration) even as far as an academic level. The students enjoy playing jeopardy it keeps them on their toes and is a good reinforcement to for them and myself to understand what their strengths and weaknesses are. This would relate to the choice of the students taking the responsibility for the assignment. They are able to play fair most of the time, and keep and accurate score amongst the two teams. I use a google search to find each game and the program keeps the score to make it easier. At times if I don’t have enough students in the class I will play all students vs me jeopardy. They always say that it isn’t fair, but I sometimes let them win (not often) to help boost their confidence. The students are in almost full control the game I just supervisor them to make sure a fight doesn’t break out. You never know with my kids. The meaning of this game is for the students to test their academic ability of algebra. The gift the students earn is the winning team will earn a bag of chips( small bag) or candy each. I don’t have a classroom so I can’t display any charts or work currently. If I could I would probably display a bracket of some sort. Sometimes the reward is having the student win when they play me. But they know the next time around I will step up my game on them. I would describe this game as intrinsic with a slight bit of extrinsic. When I teach my students a topic I don’t just teach to the text book. I try to incorporate real life situations or jokes that they will remember and can relate to. This helps with their learning because when it does come time for them to apply their knowledge they will think of my nonsense joke or scenario that I drew up.

No comments:

Post a Comment