Saturday, February 4, 2017

There are many essential components that contribute to one’s personal philosophy of education. It is crucial that educators understand and do their best to follow the guidelines of particular philosophies and to not only ensure that their students do well, but that they excel themselves in all aspects of life. As an educator it is our duty not only to educate as far as knowledge but to also express good ethics to our students. If we express good behaviors, honesty, and a positive attitude to our students it will reflect on the student’s behaviors which could lead to better outcomes in decision making. It’s important that a teacher not only teaches and expresses to a student about future endeavors, but collaborate on the past of those who made mistakes. As an educator we would want our students to be able to think critically, expand their imagination, and express themselves in appropriate manners. The ideas of the educator will reflect on the students, which will allow them to use it in their future experiences. Education is found in every society. All societies raise the young children and induct them into the adult world. Some do this formally, others informally. Educators and the engaged public need a conceptual framework within which they can frame and understand educational issues and conduct research and debates around contested conceptions and interpretations of education. In providing such a framework Philosophy is a valuable tool for understanding educational issues across the disciplines of education.
For the past sixteen years of my life, I have experienced the world of education first hand as both an active participant, as an intrigued observer, and now as a Teacher’s Assistant at a BOCES. Based on these experiences, I have a general idea of what aspects of education that I agree with, the aspects I do not particularly care for, and what aspects I find most effective.  In a few years when I stand in front of my class, I will have a sound philosophy of education in my mind that will guide me as I begin to teach. Although I have not yet completed my observations and trial as a teacher, I believe that I have a solid foundation for an educational philosophy in mind that will be adjusting and building upon as I continue my experience in education.
Many would concur that students should imitate the actions and behaviors of their tutors to become the best possible student. In order for this method of learning to be effective, teachers must conduct themselves in an ethical and responsible manner. In various psychology classes, I learned the importance of modeling; if a teacher desires a specific behavior in their students, the teacher must demonstrate that the behavior in the classroom. I believe that a good teacher should act honest, professional, and responsible at all times in order to set the best example for their students. For example, if a teacher wishes for his students to come prepared to class each day, the teacher can set the example at the beginning of the school year by arriving to class prepared for learning. Continuing this action throughout the year will subtly influence that students, and by imitating the example set by the teacher, the students will be prepared for learning each day when class begins. I believe that the teacher plays a major role of influencing the student’s behavior in class. A teacher that is responsible, respectful, and encouraging to their students will receive the same treatment in return. The idea of modeling is than aspect of education that I believe is essential to success of a teacher in the class room.

As a student for many years, I understand that students may learn best by actually experiencing the lesson being taught as opposed to lecture lessons. The idea of pragmatism in the classroom is an aspect of education that I feel is important to be put into place by a teacher. Interdisciplinary education is a tremendous tool for a teacher, and I believe that it is necessary for student to experience this cooperation of subject matters in order to receive a well-rounded education. An example of this importance can be seen in my own subject matter, history. The study of history is a science in its own regard, but when writing about history, students are dependent on the English language. As a teacher, I feel that I should work with my colleagues in an English department to ensure that our students are learning the proper mechanics and structures of English so that the students’’ writing improves. This is not a selfish endeavor for a teacher; having students’ hone their skills in another subject area will only benefit the student and allow for the student to become well rounded. Using the knowledge gained through an interdisciplinary approach is a pillar of pragmatism in the classroom, and I hope to be able to provide for my students a classroom environment that nurtures this belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment